Additional Information on Albuterol Sulfate
As with any medicine, side effects can occur with albuterol sulfate. However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
The side effects depend on the particular product. Some of the common side effects of albuterol sulfate include but are not limited to:
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Upper respiratory tract infections (such as the common cold)
- Irritated or runny nose
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia)
Albuterol sulfate can potentially interact with several other medicines.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking albuterol sulfate if you have:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Other types of heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.