It is not clear what to expect if you take too much bromelain. Symptoms of an overdose will vary, depending on how much bromelain was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. It may be possible for an overdose of bromelain to cause dangerous internal bleeding, which may have symptoms such as easy bruising or vomiting of blood. If an overdose occurs, treatment will most likely involve supportive care.
What symptoms can an overdose with bromelain cause? Is it even possible to take too much bromelain? While it is not clear what exactly to expect from consuming too much bromelain, it is likely that the effects of a bromelain overdose will vary, depending on several factors, such as how much was taken and whether it was taken with other substances.
If you think you or someone else may have overdosed on bromelain, please seek immediate medical attention.
It is not known what exactly to expect from a bromelain overdose (or even if an overdose is possible). It is possible that an overdose might increase the risk of bleeding (including dangerous internal bleeding), but this risk is theoretical at best. Signs of bleeding could include:
- Easy bruising
- Cuts or scrapes that are slow to stop bleeding
- Black, tarry stools, bright-red blood in the stool, or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Signs of a hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in the brain), such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache.
An overdose of bromelain is likely to cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, as even normal doses of bromelain can cause such problems.
It is not known how best to treat this type of overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on bromelain.