Bromelain Side Effects
Although bromelain is considered a "natural" product, it can cause problems for some people. For example, the supplement can cause upset stomach, nausea, or menstrual problems. Although these side effects are merely bothersome, potentially serious side effects are possible. Contact your healthcare provider right away if you develop side effects of bromelain such as easy bruising, vomiting of blood, or allergic reactions.
Even though it is a "natural" product, bromelain may cause side effects. People often assume that natural products are always safe and free of side effects. However, this is simply not the case. It is reasonable to assume that any natural product with the capability to have medicinal properties may also have side effects.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with bromelain. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
Possible bothersome (although not usually serious) side effects of bromelain may include:
- Upset stomach
- Nausea and vomiting
- Menstrual problems
- Irritation of the mucus membranes (such as the inside of the mouth or nose).
Theoretically, bromelain could increase the risk of bleeding, including dangerous internal bleeding. This risk is probably most significant for people with a bleeding disorder or who take "blood thinner" medications (see Bromelain Drug Interactions). Let your healthcare provider know if you develop any signs of bleeding, such as:
- Easy bruising
- Cuts or scrapes that are slow to stop bleeding
- Black, tarry stools, bright-red blood in the stool, or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Signs of a hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in the brain), such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache.
Other possible serious side effects of bromelain include:
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- A rash
- Swelling of the mouth, lips, tongue, or throat
- Wheezing or other difficulty breathing.