How to Live With COPD
Some people may wonder how to live with COPD. Although there is no cure for COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), your symptoms can be managed and damage to your lungs can be slowed down. If you smoke, quitting is the most important thing you can do to help your lungs. You also need to try and stay away from people who smoke or places where there is smoking.
It is important to keep the air in your home clean. Things that may help you in your home include:
- Keep smoke, fumes, and strong smells out of your home
- If your home is painted or sprayed for insects, have it done when you can stay away from your home
- Cook near an open door or window
- If you heat with wood or kerosene, keep a door or window open
- Keep your windows closed and stay at home when there is a lot of pollution or dust outside
- If you are taking medications, take them as ordered and make sure you refill them before you run out.
(Click Living With COPD for more information on COPD and how to live with it, including what to do in the case of an emergency.)