COPD Home > Important Instructions for the Advair Diskus
How to Use the Advair DiskusSome general considerations for when and how to use this medication include:
- Advair is inhaled into the lungs, usually twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
- The Advair Diskus is used differently than older inhalers. It contains small foil pockets that are filled with the powder. These pockets are punctured (by sliding the lever until it clicks), and the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- Rinse out your mouth (without swallowing) after each dose in order to prevent thrush.
- Be sure to keep the Advair Diskus horizontal while using it (otherwise the powder can spill out). Never exhale into the inhaler, as this will also disrupt the powder.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Advair Diskus. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice.
- Some people may not taste or feel the fine powder.
- Advair should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For Advair to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Whether you are taking Advair for asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- The severity of your asthma
- Other medications (including asthma medications) you may be taking.