COPD Home > Serevent Dosage
The recommended dose of Serevent for those who are taking the drug on a regular basis to treat asthma or COPD is one inhalation twice a day, every 12 hours. For those who are using the medication to prevent exercise-induced asthma attacks, the recommended dosage is one inhalation 30 minutes before exercise. Try to take Serevent at the same times each day in order to maintain an even level in your blood.
The dose of Serevent® (salmeterol xinafoate) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on whether you take Serevent on a regular schedule or only when needed to prevent exercise-induced asthma.
As always, do not adjust your Serevent dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Serevent Dosage for Asthma or COPDWhen taken on a regular basis to treat asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the recommended Serevent dosage is one inhalation twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
Serevent Dosage for Exercise-Induced AsthmaFor preventing exercise-induced asthma, the recommended dose is one inhalation 30 minutes before exercise. Do not use Serevent more frequently than every 12 hours, and do not use additional doses to prevent exercise-induced asthma if you already take Serevent on a regular schedule (twice a day).
Following are some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Serevent:
- Serevent is inhaled into the lungs, usually twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
- In the past, Serevent came as a typical inhaler. However, now it comes as Serevent Diskus®, which contains dry powder.
- The Serevent Diskus is used differently than older inhalers. It contains small foil pockets which are filled with the powder. These pockets are punctured (by sliding the lever until it clicks), and the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- Be sure to keep the Serevent Diskus horizontal while using it (otherwise the powder can spill out). Never exhale into the inhaler, as this will also disrupt the powder.
- Some people may not taste or feel the fine powder, even if they could taste the old Serevent inhaler. Most of the taste is due to propellants (which are not used in the new Serevent Diskus).
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Serevent Diskus. Make sure your healthcare provider shows you the steps needed to use Serevent.
- Serevent should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Serevent dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.