COPD Home > What Can I Expect With Spiriva?
When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations for when and how to take Spiriva include the following:
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs once a day. It does not matter what time of day you take Spiriva, as long as you take it at the same time each day.
- Spiriva comes in capsule form, although these capsules are never to be swallowed. They are used in the Spiriva HandiHaler®. This device punctures the capsule, and then the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- It is important that you learn exactly how to use your inhaler. Make sure your healthcare provider shows you the steps needed to use it.
- For Spiriva to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThere is only one recommended dose of Spiriva, regardless of your age, weight, or other medical problems. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Side Effects of SpirivaAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Spiriva. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold)
- Dry mouth (see Spiriva and Dry Mouth)
- Sinus infection.